I was never great at setting goals – they always seemed like such an abstract thing, intangible, unattainable. And if intangible, how could you reach them? I’ve become a goal-oriented person, because it is the only way to keep your sight on the goals you are striving and working to meet.
Why set goals?
From Forbes magazine:
“There was a fascinating study conducted on the 1979 Harvard MBA program where graduate students were asked “have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” The result, only 3% had written goals and plans, 13% had goals but they weren’t in writing and 84% had no goals at all. Ten years later, the same group was interviewed again and the result was absolutely mind-blowing.
The 13% of the class who had goals, but did not write them down was earning twice the amount of the 84% who had no goals. The 3% who had written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97% of the class combined!”
Let that sink in.
Why don’t people set goals?
- They don’t know how.
- They are waiting until they find the perfect way to set goals.
- They are afraid.
- They are afraid to succeed.
- They are afraid they won’t succeed.
- They don’t want to set the goal too high.
- They don’t want to set the goal too low.
There is an excuse for each of these, but there is also a solution to each!
- If you don’t know how to do something, research how to do it, find that resource, read up on it and just do it! We are in the information age and anyone can find anything.
- Opposite of #1, this is a gathering of information on goal-setting, but never acting upon it. As Nike says,”Just do it!”
- Fear makes us get in the way of ourselves. It’s easy to be complacent and stay in our safe comfort zone. But how safe it that, when we could do much greater things as we meet our goals?
- This may be an unspoken fear – and maybe even an unconscious fear. Even if you feel unworthy of succeeding, tackle your goals one at a time. Set small goals first and as you succeed, your confidence will increase along with the size of goals you have set!
- If you’re afraid you will fail, so what if you DO fail? You will have tried and maybe laid the groundwork for your next success!!
- Your motivation will only gain you movement in the right direction to meet that large goal. What if you don’t quite reach it? You will have accomplished more than never setting a goal at all… and you may surprise yourself in actually exceeding that lofty goal!
- If it seems like the goal you’ve set is too small, you can always meet that goal and set a larger benchmark for your next endeavor!!
The best way to begin is simply TO DO.
Start to complete steps that are on the path to reaching your DREAMS!
How do you set a goal and achieve with success??
- Set a goal that motivates you.
If you do not have a burning desire and a REAL REASON for setting your goal, you will not be motivated to keep completing the steps to have success.
RELATED BLOG POSTS...
- Set SMART goals!
- Specific – clear & well-defined
- Measurable – have a precise outcome in mind with ways to track your goals
- Attainable – make sure you set a high expectation but also one that is possible to meet
- Relevant – this goal should be in line with your life goals
- Time-Bound – have a deadline
- Put your goals in writing!
Writing down a goal impresses that into your physical being and makes it real. Use action words, not passive, to describe what you are striving for.
- Create a plan.
You have already focused on the outcome, and now you must write down the steps to successfully complete to GET to that outcome.
- Stick with your plan!
If you are not consistent in daily steps toward your larger goal, you may wander off the path you set for yourself. If you have a large goal, note small victories or benchmarks along the way to keep you motivated. At various points, review your goal to see if that is still relevant or if your aim has changed slightly.
It may hurt. It will take time.
It will require dedication.
It will require willpower.
You will need to make healthy decisions.
It requires sacrifice.
You will need to push yourself to its max.
There will be temptation to quit.
But I promise you, when you reach your goal, it’s worth it.
You won’t achieve your goal if you don’t even try.
You won’t achieve your goal if you don’t even try.
Are you now in a position to achieve the mindset of a champion?? To Step into the Shoes of Success??? Become a part of a community that is a great support on this journey and will give you a WEALTH of tools to use to improve yourself and your business! This will give you the ULTIMATE in building your business!
Go ahead and take the 10-day trial for $10 bucks. (You know you want to.) This will allow you unlimited access to begin learning and implementing the business building strategies to grow your brand, your clientele, and increase your profits.
Still Need Help?
Did This Help You? If so, please let me know in a comment below!! Please also feel free to check out my business page on Facebook!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi, my name is Chondra Rankin! My passion is teaching and inspiring YOU how to become prepared to grasp the luxury of designing your life well - so you can live your life... your way!
CLICK HERE to kick-start your life!